The Austria Experience
October 25 - November 3, 2014
Visit our study abroad program in Gaming, Austria, and experience for a week what our students experience for a whole semester!
Join Franciscan University Pilgrimages as we journey through Salzburg, Vienna, the Danube River Valley, and the quaint town of Gaming, the home of our Franciscan University Austrian Study Abroad Program. The breathtaking landscapes, architecture, art, and culture will forge unforgettable experiences, while the deep Catholicity and the glorious churches will lift your spirit.
Highlights of this pilgrimage of faith include:
- The Melk Monastery
- The Marian shrine at Mariazell
- A Mozart concert in Salzburg
- Two days in Vienna
- Mass with the world-renowned Vienna Boys Choir
- And, of course, Gaming and the 14th-century Kartause Maria Thronus Iesu which houses our Austria program.
The basic cost for this pilgrimage is
(see pricing details below)
Further Details (Tentative)
- We will fly into Vienna and travel to Gaming where we will spend four days and four nights. In Gaming, we will take day excursions to the Danube River Valley, the town of Dürnstein, the Melk Monastery, Mariazell, and nearby sites of interest. Evenings can be spent in the quaint town of Gaming, visiting with your son or daughter, meeting the staff of our Austrian program, and touring the historical Kartause.
- We then leave Gaming for two nights in Salzburg. Plan to enjoy time exploring Salzburg and a scheduled Mozart dinner and concert. Free time can be spent exploring the Salzburg Fortress, shopping, visiting one of their many historical churches, or simply sitting in an outdoor café! (For an additional fee, your student can come with you to the Salzburg and Vienna portion of our pilgrimage).
- Leaving Salzburg, we continue on to Vienna, where we will spend two days and two nights exploring the rich heritage of the Catholic Church and traditions of the Hapsburg dynasty. (You also have the option of attending the Vienna Boy’s Choir Mass).
- Accommodations in Gaming will be at the Hotel Kartause right on the grounds where our students are housed. Other hotels providing accommodations are the Hotel NH Salzburg City in Salzburg, and the Hotel Austrian Trend in the heart of Vienna.
- This is a Land Only Package, which means that you are responsible for making the arrangements for your round-trip airfare. Many parents fly non-stop from Washington to Vienna on Austria Air (leaving from the USA on Saturday evening on October 25, 2014, and arriving on Sunday morning October 26, 2014). Your return would be out of Vienna to the USA on Monday, November 3, 2014. We arrange great rates through Worldview Travel for your convenience. If you choose not to use Worldview Travel and your flight arrives at a time that is different than the scheduled Worldview Travel on Austria Air (approximately 8:45 a.m.), you will be responsible for your own transportation to and from the airport. If booking through Worldview Travel, book flight by the end of July 2014 to ensure best price.
- Included in the Land Only Package are hotel accommodations for eight nights, eight breakfasts (daily in each hotel), two lunches and three dinners, transportation when out on excursions with the group, bus from the Vienna airport to Gaming and back, admission to the various touring sites, and gratuities for above.
- If you are traveling alone and would prefer single accommodations, rooms are available for an additional $250 for the nights in Gaming and the final night in Vienna. If you would like a single accommodation for the nights in Salzburg, rooms are available for an additional $200.
- Many parents have enjoyed having their student join them for the Salzburg and Vienna portion of the trip. Please check with them to see if they would like to be a part of this portion with you. Please note, if your student chooses not to join us for the Salzburg andVienna portion, you will say goodbye to your student on Thursday when we leave for Salzburg. We DO NOT return to Gaming after that.
- Triple rooms can be available when we go to Salzburg and Vienna, so if your student plans to join you and you need a triple room, please call the Pilgrimage office. Otherwise students are paired with other students in Salzburg and Vienna.
Prices and Options
- The price for this pilgrimage is: $1725 per person based on double occupancy (Early Registration discount of $100 off your final invoice if you send in your deposit by August 15, 2014.)
- Single/Private rooms are available on a limited basis:
- Additional $250 per person for a private room in Gaming (four nights) and the last night stay in Vienna after the students leave (five nights total).
- Additional $200 per person for Salzburg/Vienna (four nights).
- $675 per student based on double or triple occupancy (Salzburg/Vienna portion only). (Early Registration discount of $50 off your final invoice if you send in your deposit by August 15, 2014.)
- For an additional $50 per person, you can also choose to attend the Vienna Boys Choir Mass on Sunday, November 2, 2014.
- Please see Terms & Conditions for details on canceling and/or making changes to your reservation.
- You can confirm your reservation with a $400 deposit per person ($200 per student already in Austria) by check or money order. Once your payment has been processed, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. Please provide us with the e-mail addresses of everyone who would like to receive the confirmation. The final payment will be due no later than September 15, 2014.
Should you have additional questions, please call the Franciscan University Pilgrimages Office at 800-437-8368 or 740-284-5812, or e-mail us at email@example.com.