- Where are you located?
We are on the top floor of Starvaggi, through the door on the right.
- Email Attachments:
-To view PDF files: right click on the PDF file attachment - click Open.
- To View photos or graphics: right click on the image file attachment - click View.
- Click Save As if you want to save the attached file to your hard drive.
- Why won’t my hard drive boot?
Make sure the computer is plugged in. Check that the monitor is turned on. If the system still does not boot up, call OIT.
- My disk or flash drive is erased. Can I get my data back?
We can try, but it is hard to recover data from flash drives.
- My printer’s not working.
Check the printer to make sure that it’s plugged into the socket and turned on, and connected to the computer or network. Then, make sure there are no paperclips, staples, pens. They jam up printers every time. Try cleaning the print head, or checking the ink cartridge. If a printer hasn’t been used for a while, the print heads can dry up.
- All the windows on my screen are larger/smaller than usual.
The screen resolution is set to the wrong size. Right click on the desktop and scroll down to Properties. In the dialogue box, click the Settings tab on the top, and select 800x600, or 1024x768 for some newer monitors. Windows will ask if you want to resize your desktop, and once it happens, you will be asked if you want to keep the new settings.
- My computer’s frozen. What do I do now?
CTR-ALT-DEL gets into the task manager, and you can exit whatever program is frozen and not responding. Then restart the computer. If the entire machine won’t respond, turn it off, unplug it, plug it back in and turn it on again. As a last resort, hold down the power button for 3-5 seconds until the computer shuts down, wait a minute and turn it back on.
- I am getting a message saying I have a virus or malware. What do I do?
Leave the message displayed on your screen and don't click on anything. You should call the help desk immediately to describe the message to them. We should make sure that McAfee is up to date, and may have to run several other programs to clean the virus.
- How do I prevent viruses/malware?
1. Do not open email attachments that seem suspicious
2. Be careful what you click on when you are surfing the web
3. Make sure your virus scanner is updating and running daily
4. You can run an additional scan with another program (spybot, a-squared, malwarebytes etc...)
5. If you use facebook do not use any of the applications, surveys etc...
6. Whitepages on the web-be careful what you click on
7. On a google search – do not click on the ads or the first link that looks like an ad
- What is the Franciscan University computer use policy?
- How do I forward my email to another account?
- How do I get a projector to display my computer?
Once the computer is hooked up, you should be able to get the image to show on the computer and the projector by holding down the Fn key and hitting F7. You may have to do this a couple of times to get both displays. Wait a few seconds after trying once.
- How do I clear my voicemail messages?
- My computer is on but nothing displays on the screen (power save mode). What do I do?
Things you can try:
1. Tap the space bar or another key several times
2. Wiggle the mouse (desktop), mouse pad or button (on a laptop)
3. Tap the power button and wait for it to respond
4. If all else fails, hold down the power button for about 3 seconds until the machine powers down completely and turn it on again (this method will probably lose any changes that you made on documents you were working on, if they were not saved)
- How do I change my power settings
1. Right click on the desktop (main screen)
2. Left click on properties – a box should pop up
3. Choose the screensaver tab
4. Click on the button that says power
5. You can adjust the settings here
- My computer is running slow. What should I do?
Things to check:
1. Virus scan may be running
2. You may have a virus
3. You may be low on memory
4. Your computer may have a lot of unnecessary software
5. You may have too many programs running at once
Things to do:
1. Clean up the temporary internet files by going to internet explorer, tools, options etc...
2. Run system clean up – temp files etc...
3. Run defrag – takes a long time
4. Check in the bottom right hand corner of the screen to see if there are a lot of programs running
5. Delete the unneeded programs from the start up folder
- Suggestions for computer help
1. Use the help menus and search for what you are looking for – most applications have a help option
2. Search the internet for a solution – be careful and only use legitimate sites – sites link here to Jenzabar, groupwise, office, adobe, Windows, etc...
- Tech Tip: The Lifespan of a Flash Drive