Alcohol Use and Abuse
OHIO'S LEGAL DRINKING AGE IS 21 YEARS OF AGE
If you break the law:
You can face a maximum sentence of six months in jail and/or a $1,000.00 fine. Officers can take any alcohol, money or property used in committing this offense (glasses, musical equipment, refrigerator, furniture) and YOU MAY NOT GET IT BACK!
You cannot give alcohol to anyone under 21 years of age. Under any circumstances, even in your own home, even with their parent's permission. You cannot knowingly allow a person under 21 to remain in your home or room or on your property while consuming or possessing alcoholic beverages.
Others can sue you if you give alcohol to anyone under 21 and they, in turn, hurt someone or damage property. Alcohol - What is it?
A central nervous depressant that lowers the ability of the brain to control behavior and it impairs your ability to perform motor skills such as driving.
How can it hurt you?
Alcohol is a drug and it can cause memory loss, hypothermia, decreased sex drive, impotence, menstrual problems, liver and kidney damage, general stomach and intestine damage, lack of ability to feel pain, coma, susceptibility to alcohol related diseases, anxiety, insomnia, and socially unacceptable behavior.
One of the biggest ways that alcohol can hurt you is by episodes of binge drinking, common on many college campuses. This can result in alcohol poisoning by overdose, where the body can't process the amount of alcohol present in the blood. Coma and death can result.
Are you in danger of becoming dependent on alcohol? Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you feel you are a normal drinker?
- Have your family or friends ever mentioned your drinking behavior to you?
- Do you stop and start drinking to test yourself?
- Has you drinking tolerance increased? Can you drink more than when you first started?
- Have you ever had a blackout; when you forgot what happened when you were drinking?
- Are you spending more money on alcohol?
- Are you a weekend binge drinker?
- Have you been stopped for drunk driving?
- Do you think about how and when you're going to drink?
- Have you ever gotten in trouble at work, or school because of drinking?
If you answered yes to two or more questions, you need to evaluate how you are using alcohol. It is estimated that one in 20 Americans has an alcohol dependency problem. Alcohol abuse can lead to dependence on alcohol. Contact the Counseling Center for more information.
We offer additional information on alcohol and our counseling services