Help Desk FAQs
If your question is not answered below give us a call at x7033
- What are your hours? Where are you located?
We’re on the top floor of Starvaggi, through the door on the right. The Computer Help Desk is staffed from:
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday: Closed
- Email Attachments:
- To view PDF files: right click on the PDF file attachment - click Open.
- To View photos or graphics: right click on the image file attachment - click View.
- Click Save As if you want to save the attached file to your hard drive.
- I forgot my campus e-mail password.
You can now change/reset your password anytime you'd like. Go to the Activate/Change Password form. All that is required is your student id, the last four digits of your Social Security Number, birthday and what you would like your new password to be. Confirm the password, hit submit, and wait 5 to 10 minutes and your new password will be ready. The password has to be atleast 7 alpha-numeric characters.
- Why won’t my hard drive boot?
Make sure the computer is plugged in. If the system gives you a “Non System Disk Error” message, check that there is no floppy in the A: drive. Finally, check that the monitor is turned on.
- My disk or flash drive is erased. Can I get my data back?
Probably not. However, we can try.
- My printer’s not working.
Check that it’s plugged into the socket and turned on, and connected to the computer. Then, make sure there are no paperclips, staples, pens. They jam up printers every time. Try cleaning the print head, or checking the ink cartridge. If a printer hasn’t been used for a while, the print heads can dry up.
- I have an error message saying there is an Invalid Page Fault.
This happens when Windows is busy looking for data that is no longer where it thinks it was, and it gets confused. Restart the program.
- All the windows on my screen are larger/smaller than usual.
Screen resolution is set to the wrong size. Right click on the desktop and scroll down to Properties. In the dialogue box, click the Settings tab on the top, and select 800x600, or 1024x768 for some newer monitors. Windows will ask if you want to resize your desktop, and once it happens, you will be asked if you want to keep the new settings.
- My computer’s frozen. What do I do now?
CTR-ALT-DEL gets into the task manager, and you can exit whatever program is frozen and not responding. Then restart the computer. If the entire machine won’t respond, turn it off, unplug it, plug it back in and turn it on again.