In Defense of Religious Liberty
Franciscan University of Steubenville stands opposed to the HHS mandate as a gross affront to our constitutionally protected religious liberty.
Make a pledge to pray for the restoration of rights of conscience and religious liberty in our country.
2. Educate Yourself
Review the interviews, op-eds, and statements on this page made by faculty, administrators and alumni of Franciscan University regarding the mandate.
For more visit the USCCB religious liberty pages.
3. Educate Others
Share what you have learned about the real assault taking place on religious liberty.
4. Petition Government
Statement from Father Terence Henry, TOR, President, Franciscan University of Steubenville, on the Supreme Court ruling on the 2010 Affordable Care Act
“As a university that is passionately committed to living our Catholic faith, Franciscan University was disappointed in today’s Supreme Court ruling. Although Franciscan University is still studying the Supreme Court’s decision, at this time we don’t believe the decision will have any impact on our case. The HHS mandate remains an unjust infringement on religious liberty, and we cannot in good conscience comply with its orders. Accordingly, we will continue standing with our bishops to pursue avenues of redress in order to defend our right to practice our Catholic faith.”
Franciscan University Sues for Right
A Message from Father Terence Henry, TOR
to "Live the Faith We Believe."
Watch the video on YouTube
Read the Press Release
- 3/27/2013: Public Comment by Father Terence Henry, TOR, president of Franciscan University, on the Proposed Revisions to the HHS Mandate, March 2013
- 3/22/2013: HHS Mandate Lawsuit Dismissed Due to Lack of Ripeness
- 7/9/2012: "HHS Mandate: Unjust (as well as Illegal)" - Dr. Patrick Lee, writing at The Public Discourse
- 7/2/2012 Kimberly Hahn and Dr. Patrick Lee, Franciscan University bioethicist, discuss contraception, sterilization, and abortion-inducing drugs, which frame the HHS Mandate debate.
Dr. Patrick Lee, Franciscan University bioethicist, and Dr. Stephen Krason, Franciscan University political science professor, explain why Catholics should oppose the HHS Mandate.
Excerpts from "First They Came For the Catholics," a production of Promise Productions
- 6/21/2012 "The Tale of Two Catholic Universities and Obamacare" - Dr. Dan Kuebler
- 5/22/2012 "With HHS lawsuits, Catholic institutions follow their conscience" - Washington Post
- 5/21/2012 Franciscan University Sues Government for Right to "Live the Faith We Believe"
- 5/18/2012 A sampling of the coverage from our stand for religious liberty with regards to our student health insurance plan
- 4/17/2012 The presidents of Franciscan University and Ave Maria School of Law on their respective school's position on the HHS Mandate
- 3/28/2012 Symposium on the HHS Mandate
- 3/28/2012 Stand Up for Religious Freedom Rally, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 3/23/2012 Helen Alvare on Religious Liberty
- 3/21/2012 "Catholic Colleges Upset by HHS Rule Requiring Student Health Plans to Comply With Mandate," Michael Hernon, vice president for advancement, quoted in the National Catholic Register.
- 3/13/2012 Congressman Jeff Fortenberry ’96 on the HHS Mandate.
- 3/20/2012 Relevant Radio Interview with Father Terence Henry, TOR, president of Franciscan University
- 3/8/2012 "No compromise on insurance mandate for birth control" with Michael Hernon, vice president of Advancement at Franciscan University in the diocesan newspaper for Charleston, NC
- 3/2/2012 "The HHS Mandate and Catholic Conscience," Father Dan Pattee, TOR, chair of the Department of Theology. Full Audio | Video on YouTube
- 2/27/2012: "Obama Overreaches on HHS Mandate," by Dr. Daniel Kuebler, published in the National Catholic Register
- 2/11/2012: "Leaders react to health care mandate," Father Terence Henry, TOR, president of Franciscan University, quoted in an article by the Steubenville Herald-Star
- 2/10/2012: "Clearheaded Catholics Will Not Comply," a post in The Corner at National Review Online, by Dr. Patrick Lee, John N. and Jamie D. McAleer Professor of Bioethics, director of the Institute of Bioethics
- 2/9/2012: Father Terence Henry, TOR, president of Franciscan University, interviewed for a segment on WTOV-TV
- 2/9/2012: Father Terence Henry, TOR, president, and Michael Hernon, vice president of Advancement at Franciscan University, on the "Kresta in the Morning" radio program on Ave Maria Radio
- 2/8/2012 "Franciscan University Opposes Federal Health Insurance Mandate That Undermines Religious Liberty" Statement by Father Terence Henry, TOR,
president of Franciscan University, to the University community, published in The Troubadour student newspaper.
- 2/1/2012: "The Attack on Religion in America: A Christian Call to Action" by Dr. Stephen Krason, professor of political science and legal studies, as well as co-founder president and of the Society of Catholic Social Scientists
- 10/2/2011: "Will Obama Destroy Franciscan University of Steubenville?" Ken Blackwell, former Ohio Secretary of State, writing in the Daily Caller