STEUBENVILLE, OH—“I learned that persistence kept me in the classroom and that faith and confidence were the vehicles driving me throughout that first year and are still the vehicles that drive me throughout my life,” writes Dr. Mary Ann Sunyoger in her new book, Life Lessons: A Connection of Souls Throughout Life’s Journey.
Sunyoger, a professor of English at Franciscan University of Steubenville, will hold pre-release book sales and signings in the local area for this book, which captures and recounts her teaching experiences with vitality and warmth.
“The book is a celebration of students whom I’ve taught from high school days to university days. It’s a thank-you to them for teaching me life lessons,” says Sunyoger, who grew up in Steubenville, attended Catholic Central High School and later the College of Steubenville. She has taught English since 1970, first at Catholic Central, and then at Franciscan University.
Life Lessons: A Connection of Souls Throughout Life’s Journey is a compilation of 41 short chapters—representing her 41 years of teaching—that tell the stories of the students Sunyoger has met throughout her teaching career.
The book encounters a diverse assortment of both high school and college students, from the silently struggling student to the joyfully humble student, from the student who plagiarized to the student who protected Sunyoger in a frightening time of need. All of these chapters end with a reflection on the lesson learned, and a personal “thank-you” to each student addressed in the story. The final chapter ends with her recount of learning to forgive herself after failing her own mother in a midterm exam.
“The purpose of this book is to cause the reader to reflect on individuals who have entered his or her life, and just to think about how those individuals have taught him or her,” says Sunyoger.
The scheduled book signings are as follows:
- Friday, June 14, at 4:00 p.m. at the Dean Martin Tribute at The Spot, Steubenville.
- Wednesday, June 19, at 2:00 p.m. at the Mary H. Weir Library, Weirton.
- Friday, June 21, from 11:00 a.m. – 3 p.m. at the Kroger in Hollywood Plaza, Steubenville.
- Tuesday, June 25, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. at St. Florian Hall in Wintersville. Finger foods, coffee, and punch will be provided.
- Wednesday, August 6, at 1 p.m. at the Steubenville Main Library in Steubenville—this will include both a reading and book signing.
- Wednesday, August 6, at 6:00 p.m., in the meeting room of Schiappa Library in Steubenville—this will include both a book signing and a presentation on the process of publishing.
Life Lessons: A Connection of Souls Throughout Life’s Journey will be available to purchase in hard copy and eBook format on September 10, 2013. To pre-order, please visit tatepublishing.com. For signed copies only, please contact Dr. Mary Ann Sunyoger at email@example.com.