• A Timeline of Franciscan University of Steubenville

    Father Mike's Legacy

    1946—The College of Steubenville opened on December 10 in downtown Steubenville with 258 students led by president, Father Dan Egan, TOR.
    1949—First Founders’ Day Dinner held. First Board of Advisors established.
    1950—First graduation celebrated with the commencement address given by Ernest T. Weir, chairman of the board of National Steel.
    1955—Father Regis Stafford, TOR, appointed acting president so Father Egan could devote himself to planning the new hilltop campus.
    1957—Women’s Club founded.
    1958—Baron Basketball Team, coached by Hank Kuzma, achieved a 24-1 record and recognition as the Number One Small College Basketball Team in the U.S.
    1959—Father Egan died in a fire, and his passing was mourned by all of Steubenville. Father Kevin R. Keelan, TOR, succeeded him as president.
    1960—North Central Association of Colleges and Schools granted the College formal accreditation.
    1961—New hilltop campus opened on the school’s present location.
    1962—Father Columba J. Devlin, TOR, appointed third president of the College.
    1963—Trinity Hall student residence completed.
    1964—St. Thomas More residence hall completed.
    1965—Graduating class topped 100 students for the first time.
    1966—Board of Trustees established to provide additional leadership to the College.
    1969—Father Kevin Keelan, TOR, returns for his second term as president. Christ the King Chapel dedicated.
    1970—Enrollment reached an historic high at 1,333.
    1974—Father Michael Scanlan, TOR, appointed fourth president. Master’s in Education offered in conjunction with University of Dayton.
    1975—Charismatic Priests Conference held on campus, the first of many Catholic conferences for adults to follow. Innovative student faith households launched.
    1976—BA in Theology added. Mother Teresa accepted the Poverello Medal during commencement. First Catholic Youth Conference held on campus. 1977 Student Volunteer Program of Service to the community initiated.
    1978—First College-wide convocation held with an address by Father Michael on the school’s identity and direction.
    1980—The College of Steubenville becomes the University of Steubenville through the addition of an MBA, an MA Theology, and MS Education to the curriculum. The "Strong in the ’80s" Capital Campaign surpassed its goal of 1 million dollars.
    1982—Student Work Opportunity Program initiated. Stony Hollow Boulevard renamed University Boulevard.
    1983—The University’s entire short-term debt paid off by a benefactor. Vaccaro Field completed through donations from local citizens. Franciscan University Press inaugurated.
    1984—The University received a 10-year accreditation from the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Franciscan Way rerouted and resurfaced; plaza constructed.
    1985—The Board of Trustees adopted a resolution to officially change the name of the University to Franciscan University of Steubenville.
 Pre-Theologate Program for men discerning the priesthood begun.
    1987—The John Paul II Library and St. Mary of the Angels Chapel, a replica of the Portiuncula in Assisi, completed. The Tomb of the Unborn Child erected. 700 alumni come home for the University’s 40th anniversary.
    1988—The Ohio Valley Skating Rink purchased and renovated into the St. Joseph Center.
    1989—President Father Michael Scanlan, TOR, and the entire full-time theology faculty and all Franciscan friars make the Profession of Faith and takes the Oath of Fidelity as called for in a Vatican directive based on the 1983 Code of Canon Law. MA Counseling Program added. Great Books of Western Civilization Honors Program initiated. Named to the John Templeton Foundation Honor Roll for Character Building Colleges and Universities (also named in 1990, 1995-96, 1997-98).
    1990—Record enrollment set with 1,768 students from 49 states and 37 countries. Listed for the first time in Barron’s 300: Best Buys in College Education (and has appeared in every subsequent edition).
    1991—Listed among America’s top liberal arts schools by National Review. The Austrian Program began at the Kartause Maria Thronus Iesu in Gaming, Austria.
 The Steel Cross and bronze Stations of the Cross erected.
    1992—Father Matthew Finnegan Fieldhouse completed. MS in Educational Administration Program began. The Language and Catechetical Institute (LCI) began in Gaming to train catechists for service in Eastern and Central Europe. Listed in U.S. News & World Report’s Guide to America’s Best Colleges (also listed in every subsequent edition).
    1993—MA Philosophy Program added. The average SAT score of incoming freshmen topped 1,000. Mission of Franciscan University published. Listed among the top liberal arts schools by National Catholic Register.
    1994—Celebrated twentieth year of Christian conferences: 10,000 attended the summer’s nine events for priests, deacons, seminarians, religious sisters, lay men and women, and teens. Ravine behind Vaccaro Field filled; site leveled for future development.
    1995—Urban Mission Ministries became an associate of the University enabling closer collaboration in serving the local poor. An Economic Impact Study published indicated that the University generated over 5,500 local jobs and had an annual local economic impact of more than $100.4 million. Christ the King Chapel addition completed. Largest total enrollment reached with 1,962 students.
    1996—Celebrated 50th anniversary with over 1,000 alumni and supporters. Helped establish the International Theology Institute (ITI) in Gaming, Austria. Dedicated Our Lady of Praise Grotto.
    1997—Named to the John Templeton Foundation Honor Rolls for Education in a Free Society, which listed the top 13 colleges and universities in the nation. New residence halls dedicated to St. Maximilian Kolbe and St. Clare of Assisi.
    1998—A record 16,000 attended Steubenville conferences around the nation. Broke total enrollment record with 2,022 students.
    1999—25th annual conference season offered nine adult conferences and three on-campus youth conferences as well as eight regional youth conferences. Distance Learning MA in Theology accredited. MSN Program launched. Twi-Lite Motel purchased for use as student housing. Listed in the Templeton Foundation’s new guide, Colleges That Encourage Character Development.
    2000—Building on Faith Capital Campaign concluded at $18.75 million, by far the largest amount raised. Father Terence Henry, TOR, took the helm as the fifth president of Franciscan University. $11 million Saints Cosmas and Damian Science Hall dedicated.
    2002—Total student enrollment reached 2,253, the tenth straight year of increase. Rome Program inaugurated, permitting graduate theology students to spend a semester attending classes at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas.
    2003—U.S. News & World Report ranked Franciscan University in the top 21 percent of schools in its division in its 2003 Guide to America’s Best Colleges. Launched the Commuter Grant Program, which encouraged and aided more local students to study at Franciscan.
    2006—Franciscan marked 60th year. $25 million Campaign for Franciscan University launched to increase scholarship endowment, renovate Egan Hall, and build a new friary, among other priorities.
    2007—Re-entry into intercollegiate sports as the Barons became provisional members of the NCAA Division III. The 48,000-square-foot SS. Louis and Elizabeth Hall opened as home to 177 students. Purchased adjacent Belleview Golf Course and Green Strip properties for future campus development.
    2008—Concentration in bioethics added to the MA Philosophy Program. Dr. Patrick Lee appointed to the John N. and Jamie D. McAleer Chair in Bioethics, the first fully endowed chair in the University’s history. Parkview Circle purchased and renovated into apartment-style student housing and renamed Assisi Heights. Barons admitted to the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference. Total campus acreage reaches 235, doubling in size in 10 years.
    2009—Friars moved into the new Holy Spirit Friary, constructed through the generosity of donors to the capital campaign. Capital campaign reached 75% of its goal with $18,757,196 raised. 19 Youth Conferences offered in 14 locations in the U.S. and Canada, drawing over 36,000 participants.
    2010—Capital campaign concluded, having raised $31 million.
    2011—Center for Leadership founded. Online MS in Education Program begins.
    2012—New liberal arts core curriculum unveiled. Franciscan sued the federal government over the HHS mandate’s attempt to force the University to provide health insurance coverage that violated its religious principles.
    2013—Father Henry concluded 13-year tenure as president; became the University’s second chancellor. Father Sean O. Sheridan, TOR, started as president on June 1 and was officially installed on October 10, 2013, as Franciscan University’s sixth president. Veritas Center for Ethics in Public Life launched.
    2014—Engineering Dual-Degree Program launched. Franciscan University Press revitalized. Online learning expanded with MBA and Master of Arts in Catechetics and Evangelization. A transfer of ownership gave Franciscan University full access to all of the Kartause’s artistic and spiritual treasures and allowed for future growth of the popular study abroad program in Austria. New Pastoral Care and Evangelization Department announced, placing the pastoral care of students and all internal and external evangelization programs under one department.
    2015—Groundbreaking ceremony held for a multi-million-dollar hotel and retail development on the University Boulevard property formerly known as the Green Strip. Christ the King Chapel named a site of Jubilee Year of Mercy Holy Doors for Diocese of Steubenville.
    2016—Online MA Theology and Christian Ministry Program introduced. The Inn at Franciscan Square opened. 3+4 Doctor of Pharmacy Program launched. Catechetical Institute developed online adult faith formation program.
  • Photos of Father Michael Scanlan, TOR

Academically Excellent Passionately Catholic

1235 University Boulevard

Steubenville, Ohio 43952

(740) 283-3771

ABOUT FRANCISCAN UNIVERSITY

Franciscan University of Steubenville is no ordinary university, and a Franciscan education is no ordinary education. Rather, it's an education as rigorous and demanding as it is faithful--an education that challenges you intellectually, forms you professionally, and feeds you spiritually.

GIVE BACK

You can help Franciscan lead the way in providing a faithfully Catholic education!

SUPPORT FRANCISCAN