Disability Services FAQs | Franciscan University of Steubenville
  • About Disability Services

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Is there a separate admissions procedure for students with disabilities?

    No, the admissions process and criteria are the same for all students applying to Franciscan University of Steubenville.

    Is there a fee for the services provided by Student Academic Support Services?

    No, the provision of reasonable accommodations is provided at no additional cost to the student.

    If I received accommodations in high school, does that mean I will receive them in college?

    Not necessarily. The diagnosis needs to meet the criteria of a “disabling condition” when compared to the average person in the general population. The test data needs to support evidence of a current, significant, and functional limitation that impacts learning. The evaluation must support a link between the disability and the requested accommodation.

    What is the definition of a person with a disability?

    The Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008 defines a person with a disability as “Any person who (1) has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities, (2) has record of such impairment, or (3) is regarded as having such impairment.” These major life activities include abilities related to walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, or learning. Disabling conditions may include - but are not limited to – chronic health impairments, visual or hearing impairments, psychiatric disorders, traumatic brain injuries, specific learning disorders, attention deficit disorder, and mobility impairments.

    As a student with a disability leaving high school and entering postsecondary education, will I see differences in my rights and how they are addressed?

    Yes. FUS is not bound by your IEP. While Section 504 and Title II protect elementary, secondary, and postsecondary students from discrimination, several of the requirements that apply through high school are quite different from the requirements that apply in college. The focus of accommodations at the post-secondary level is to ensure access to programs and services. Students with disabilities are encouraged to learn more about their rights and responsibilities by visiting the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights website.

    What documentation is required to receive accommodations through Student Academic Support Services?

    As stated above, eligibility guidelines differ from high school. An Individualized Education Plan or 504 Plan alone is not sufficient documentation. SASS will require documentation from an appropriate professional, such as a medical doctor, psychologist, or other qualified diagnostician. Depending upon the nature of the disability, the guidelines may be different. Please refer to the Documentation Guidelines section for more information.

    When and where should I send my documentation?

    Once admitted to Franciscan University of Steubenville, any student who chooses to disclose their disability and register with Student Academic Support Services should send their documentation directly to:

    Student Academic Support Services – Egan Hall 105
    Franciscan University of Steubenville
    1235 University Blvd
    Steubenville, OH 43952

    Information may also be faxed directly to SASS at: 740-284-7095 or emailed to tmaroni@franciscan.edu

    What happens after my disability documentation has been submitted?

    Once documentation has been submitted and reviewed by SASS, the student will be contacted by phone or FUS e-mail address. The student is then required to schedule a time with the SASS Director for an appointment to discuss submitted documentation, review the student’s Intake Form, and to formally apply for accommodations, services, and/or auxiliary aids. The SASS Director will consider all relevant information when determining eligibility for accommodations. Please refer to the Procedures for Requesting Accommodations section for more information.

    What kind of services will I be eligible for?

    Academic accommodations are determined based on your disability and individual needs. Accommodations may include auxiliary aids and services, as well as modifications to academic requirements as necessary to ensure equal educational opportunity. Please note that Franciscan University does not provide personal attendants, individually prescribed devices, readers for personal use or study, or other devices or services of a personal nature, such as tutoring and typing.

    Do students with disabilities have the same requirements in class and for graduation as all other students?

    Yes. In providing accommodations, Franciscan University of Steubenville is not required to lower or substantially modify essential requirements. For example, although you may be approved for extended testing time, the university is not required to change the substantive content of the test. In addition, Franciscan University of Steubenville will not make adjustments that would fundamentally alter the nature of a service, program, or activity, or that would result in an undue financial or administrative burden.

    Are tutoring services available as an accommodation?

    Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, tutoring is considered a personal service and is not considered a required accommodation for a student with a disability. However, Student Academic Support Services does offer open tutoring labs and individual peer tutoring for the benefit of all students, regardless of disability status. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to take full advantage of all available services. If a student with a disability is approved for tutoring assistance, SASS will provide access services to allow the student to fully participate (such as providing an interpreter for a student who is deaf or material in Braille for a visually impaired student).

    What do I do if I have disabilities that affect my housing accommodations?

    Students needing to request housing accommodations based upon a disability are encouraged to submit appropriate documentation as soon as possible after acceptance to Franciscan University. The Housing Accommodation Request Procedures, Application, and Verification of Disability forms based upon specific disabilities can be found under Disability Forms.

    Do I have to disclose my disability?

    Disclosure of your disability is optional and voluntary.

Academically Excellent Passionately Catholic

1235 University Boulevard

Steubenville, Ohio 43952

(740) 283-3771


Franciscan University of Steubenville is no ordinary university, and a Franciscan education is no ordinary education. Rather, it's an education as rigorous and demanding as it is faithful--an education that challenges you intellectually, forms you professionally, and feeds you spiritually.


You can help Franciscan lead the way in providing a faithfully Catholic education!